Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Night Out

Last night I went with Amy and Justin Souza to see Shane Claibourne speak at Bel Aire Pres. I thought he did a great job. It is amazing what this guy has done, from living in the inner city of Philadelphia to working with Mother Teresa in Calcutta to visiting Iraq. His stories are amazing. If you haven't read his book, Irresistible Revolution, you should join me in reading it. I guess his talk was pretty much what his book was about, but it was very inspiring. His talk was entitled, "Have Less, Live More." The part that struck me the most was the video that he showed at the end of his talk. It was of his trip to Iraq. The video depicted a young boy laying on a hospital bed dying of malnutrition. The boy had survived a bombing and was also suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. He lay in his bed quivering uncontrollably and a Sister of Mother Teresa stood stroking his belly. It was an amazing moment, but suddenly the boy became still and just stared into the eyes of the nun. I couldn't help but weap.

Still trying to process how I can have less and live more.

So long.

No comments: