Thursday, February 10, 2005

Lent, not lint

So the lenten season has arrived. I can't believe it is almost Easter. It feels like yesterday was Christmas.

I have never really observed lent until I started attending First Pres. So this is somewhat new to me. Last year I decided to give up caffeine, namely Pepsi. It was so hard for me, and hard for Nicole having to live with me and deal with my bad attitudes. I went through withdrawal symptoms (such as migraines) and got really tired all the time. I was not a happy person for those 40 days. It was definitely a challenge for me, but I was successful.

This year I have decided that I am going to give up television in all its forms. I am not going to watch movies, dvds, tv, nothing. I think this will not only help me to focus on God and His Word, but also on my studies. Many a nights I sit in front of the tv thinking to myself about all the homework I should be doing, but am not.

In other news, I recently became a junior high school advisor at my church. The group is called S.U.R.G.E. (serving under a radical God everyday). So far so good. The first night some people thought I was actually in 8th grade, so I played along, and then when I was introduced as an advisor, they didn't believe me. I guess that is what I get for being short and young looking, and playing along with the joke. I am very surprised at the girls warmth and welcoming. They have all made a good effort to introduce themselves to me and really enjoy me being there. It is a lot of fun getting to know the girls, and the guys as well.

School is in full swing and I am already feeling the effects. This semester is going to be a doozie. I am taking western civ which explains everything. I hate history and reading and that is what this whole class is. I got my first job as a sign language interpreter at the school. It is a volunteer position, but I consider it a job because of the benefits I get (learning the setting, etc.). Today was the first day and it was intense. I am interpreting for a water skiing and wakeboarding class. I know I know, poor me, I get to be out on the lake everyweek. But it is hard work, there are more terms than I expected and they don't really have any signs so it is difficult. I am working at it and I think it will turn out fine in the end. I am just a little nervous, and hope that the two girls are getting everything they need. Not only do I have 16 units, jr. high advisor, and this interpreting job, I am also still working at the coffee shop.

If you think about it, please pray for strength, endurance, perseverance, and peace for the semester. Thanks to all.

Today I am thankful for the gift of sign language.

No comments: