Tuesday, April 05, 2005

April Fools

I had this burning desire to play an April Fool's joke on my family, but I didn't want to be mean. My dad and I pulled one on my mom one time and she freaked out and started crying. I didn't want to play like I had gotten seriously injured because mom would have tripped out and wanted to come down right away (since her baby is in Cali and she is in Washington). So I didn't know what to do.

I kind of mentioned telling them that I had gotten engaged, but I wasn't sure how that would go over and I didn't think it would get them. So I decided I would be a nice daughter and not do anything. Then that burning got to me and I had to do something.

I talked to Nicole and we decided that I should just tell them that John and I got engaged. I had some pics from the beach that Andrew had taken, so I thought I would send those in an email along with my left hand with a ring on it. So that is what I did. I sent an email and explained "the story" and included the pics. My dad was the first to respond and just said congratulations and wondered why I sent the email without calling. I had him going for so long. Then he insisted that he call my mom and have her call me. So she did and then we 3 way called with my mom, dad, and myself. My mom was screaming and almost in tears with excited. All she could tell me was that she was happy for me and "OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH!!!" It was hilarious. I wanted John to hear, so I put my parents on speaker phone and Nicole used her phone to call John and put him on speaker phone. It was insane. Then the next thing I know my sister is on the phone as well, the whole freaking family was on the line. It was good times. It hurt so bad to have to tell them that John and I weren't really engaged. They were hurt and disappointed. And they called me a few names and told me I was in trouble. I was surprised that they weren't concerned that John and I have only been together for a month and that I am still in school. It was interesting to hear their reactions.

We played the same joke on John's mom and grandma later that night when we went out to Pasadena. His mom was more skeptical because this was the first time she had ever met me. John was disappointed that his mom wasn't more excited, but we understood. It was a good April Fool's this year.

No comments: