Wednesday, November 03, 2004

College v. High School

Today has been a day that live on forever....I day and time that I am proud to be a part of. Granted my presidential candidate did not win, I am still proud to be witnessing these times.

So in my political science class we talked alot about what was happening, and what will happen. Naturally we would because it is pol. science. But then I went to my second class of the day, sociology. We started off talking about Kerry conceding and that sad stuff. Then we discussed where our nation was headed (way to the right). We got on the subject of abortion and the possibility of overturning Roe v. Wade. Which then led to a discussion on sex, leading to STDs, leading to prevention and the importance of women getting regular pap-smears. Don't ask. So almost 40 minutes into the class (which is 50 minutes) we were still talking about all these wonderful things.

My point being.....I love being in college because the curriculum is still important but teachers are more flexible in how they run the classes. It allows for some interesting debates, conversations, and discussions of what our nation is going through. Whereas in high school, teachers are so rushed to cram all this information into our heads, that one day of discussions throws off the whole curriculum so they don't acknowledge national issues that arise.

I never thought I would be saying that I love college, but it is actually not as bad as I thought.

Wow, that was a semi- long blog. Gotta go get my laundry out of the washer and into the dryer.

No comments: